Friday, September 3, 2010

SnagIt!

I just recently discovered a marvelous piece of software called SnagIt. It is a tool to record images and video of your computer screen. SnagIt is extremely useful for all things you would use Print Screen for, as well as making video tutorials of anything you do on your computer.

For example:
My department at work was having trouble with having too many copies of the same files in our shared network drive from people sending files as attachments. My solution? Send the location of the file as a link. The issue? Most of my department did not know how to create a link from a folder address.

Instead of walking around to everyone's desk and showing them, only to have them forget how the next day, I created a video tutorial. And how did I shared it with the group? As a link in an email.

This is a tutorial I created with SnagIt (Note: this is not the exact tutorial I gave my coworkers because I had specified real files from a real shared drive. This shows a file from my hard drive. If you try to use links to send files from drives that are not shared, like I have done here linking to my hard drive, the recipient will not be able to open it. I will show how linking to your hard drive files can be very useful in a later post.)

I hope you enjoyed this demonstration, and I hope you are now just as excited as I am about this amazing, useful product. Stay tuned for more posts, and feel free to post questions about SnagIt or any other organization/productivity topic. Thanks for watching.

2 comments:

  1. Nice post. Totally agree about Snagit.

    The sound on your video is a little disturbing. A lot of background noise.

    Thanks!
    Peter
    http://www.snagitguide.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Sometimes it is hard to find a quiet moment in my cubicle, and my microphone is not of the best quality.

    ReplyDelete