Saturday, November 12, 2011

Cream Cheese Cucumber Dill Sandwiches


This is a sandwich that I love to make. It is actually originally meant to be a tea sandwich, but I like to eat them for lunch. I used to have this sandwich every day with cut up cantaloupe on the side. Once a week I make the filling for a bunch of sandwiches so that I can throw them together as I want them. This is a healthy, low-fat lunch with no flavor sacrificed!

Ingredients:

1 8 oz tub of 1/3 less fat cream cheese (I like to use Philadelphia)
1 .75 oz package of baby dill
1 English cucumber
1 loaf of sourdough bread (or oat or other white bread)

Instructions:
  1. Transfer the cream cheese from its tub to a tupperware container a little larger than the tub.

  2. Remove the feathery part of the dill from the stalks and throw away the stalks. Fine chop the dill.

  3. Combine the chopped dill with the cream cheese and set aside.

  4. Cut the cucumber into pieces as thin as you can possibly get them. You should be able to almost read through them.

  5. Now it is time to build the sandwiches. Take two slices of bread and spread a thin layer of the cream cheese mixture on one side of each piece. Layer a couple layers of cucumbers on top of one of the pieces of bread over the cream cheese. Close the sandwich so that the filling is layered cream cheese, cucumber, cream cheese. Repeat these steps to assemble as many sandwiches as you like.

  6. Cut off the crusts of the sandwiches. I like to treat myself by eating the crusts so that I do not devour all of the premade sandwiches before the lunch I am prepping them for!

  7. Cut the sandwich that is left into four little pieces. Store these premade sandwiches in a tupperware container in the fridge or serve them immediately.


  8. Store left over cucumber pieces in a tupperware container in the fridge and close the cream cheese tupperware container and store that in the fridge as well.
Hope you enjoy this sandwich as much as I do. Stick around for next week's posts about the dreaded task of organizing your closet!

2 comments:

  1. looks yummy! can i use dried dill if I can't get fresh ones?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never tried to substitute dry dill because I did not think the texture would be right. You might end up with almost crunchy tasty cream cheese! If you give it a try let me know if it turns out okay!

    ReplyDelete